Friday 29 November 2013

The $550 a month challenge

I am putting myself (and family) on a strict budget. We shop fortnightly (every 2 weeks) so my aim is to spend no more than $225 every 2 weeks to feed a family of 6.
Some may say it's impossible especially since I'm going down the clean eating/healthy path, I don't even know if it's possible but with 2 children in private school by the start of next year (still cannot believe my Miss 5 is going to school!) I am going to need to cut back and stick to a strict budget and this is where it starts.
We have a great fruit and veg store which is super cheap you can often pick up carrots for 19c per kilo, bananas for 89c per kilo so we save lots by shopping there. If I bulk our meals up with veg rather than meat not only will it benefit our health but our pockets too! 

So here is our first meal plan. I make everything in bulk so what we have this Monday we will have next Monday too, if the recipes serves 6 I buy ingredients for 12, it saves time and money.

BREAKFASTS
M- Breakfast Berry Crumble
T- Breakfast Smoothie (banana, pineapple, kale, blueberries and strawberries)
W- Peanut Butter Strawberry Parfait
T- Yogurt & Fruit
F- Sweet Potato & Brussel Sprout Hash
S- Eggs Benedict with Asparagus
S- French Toast with Berries

LUNCHES (here is where it is a little repetitive)
M- Crunchy Asian Chicken Salad
T- Summer Wraps
W- Crunchy Asian Chicken Salad
T- Taco Salad
F- Summer Wraps
S- Quesadillas
S- Sweet Potato & Asparagus Soup

DINNERS
M- Baked Fish with Carrots and Zucchini
T- Pumpkin Soup
W- Tacos
T- White Chicken Chilli 
F- Brown Fried Rice
S- Baked Sweet Potatoes with White Chilli 
S- Quesadillas

SNACKS
Blueberries frozen in yoghurt
Frozen banana slices with peanut butter
Celery with almond butter and sultanas
Fruit 

Seeing it written like this I must admit, I am a little worried about the budget! So it is time to write th shopping list and get an average from the supermarkets online shopping carts.
I get free delivery with Coles so have decided to go with them for the bulk. Here is my total:

I still have to do fruit and veg usually I spend $40, I have put aside $75 which equals $212.08 so perfectly in budget!
I presumed healthy eating was costly this shopping list includes wholegrain flour, coconut oil and lots of other things I don't have here and nothing in our list is processed. An amazing feeling!

No comments:

Post a Comment